Usually I treat taking something apart like a puzzle. It is strangely satisfying to have something come apart nicely without resorting to brute force and wire cutters.
This cassette deck didn't provide that satisfaction. It got to the point where I was taking out every screw I could find hoping something would budge. To make matters worse it was greased up in places so by the end it looked like I may have been working on a car instead of taking apart a piece of consumer electronics.
The reward were some swanky dB meters and a pile of switches, so it was certainly worth it.
As you can see, this was scrap so there was no guilt when it came to gutting it:
It had one of those wood sidings that I like so much at one point, but not by the time it got to me:
The bottom came off easy enough:
The top also:
This "caution" plate on the back seemed out of place and had a useless warning. Turns out it was just used to hide some extra ports which I suppose came in a deluxe model:
There were pulleys running all over the place for displaying some sort of counter:
Here are the pulleys continuing on the bottom (they hook up with the picture above on the right side of the picture below):
This is the point I started getting desperate, this thing just wouldn't come apart and I started trying to pull off pieces which were still attached to other pieces:
After cracking it open I noticed this little reed switch. I was very happy to see one of these in there, they're apparently fairly uncommon since I hadn't seen one in anything else I've taken apart:
More trying to dig things out:
Pulled out a large motor:
These cassette deck mechanisms are always interesting to look at. You can see the timer pulley fully visible at this point:
There were a bunch of springs, I gave up trying to figure out how they worked:
The guts, it took some serious wire cutting to get them apart. This thing was a tangled mess, it's hard to imagine how long it would have taken to assemble one by hand:
Jackpot, here are all the switches and slide pots:
Not a bad haul. Here is the after shot, in addition to the switches and slide pots, there were a bunch of tiny bump switches that were scattered along the cassette mechanism, a solenoid, the reed switch, and some aluminum plates: